Keeping in the spirit of Halloween, here's another scrumtrulescent treat which you can recreate.
Vampire Caramel Apples from Sweet Tooth
6 washed and dried apples (preferably red so you can make some red "lips" show through)
6 popsicle or lollipop sticks
4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
7 oz sweetened condensed milk (1/2 of can)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Handful mini marshmallows
- Prepare a Silpat-lined or greased wax paper-lined cookie sheet and insert sticks into each cleaned apple.
- Melt butter in a saucepan until it browns. Stir constantly to avoid bits of brown butter forming.
- Add corn syrup, condensed milk, and sugars and mix over medium heat. While stirring constantly with a heat-resistant spatula, bring the mixture to a boil and allow it to boil until a candy thermometer reaches 235-340 degrees (aka the soft ball stage).
- Once the caramel is at the soft ball stage, remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and allow caramel to sit for 5 minutes.
- Submerge apples in caramel and swirl upon removal to let excess caramel drip off. Invert onto prepared cookie sheet and use a knife to remove any excess caramel that pools on the bottoms.
- Let the apples set for about an hour and set any extra caramel aside.
- With a sharp knife, cut out a wedge of apple to make the "mouth". Use the edge of the knife to push back the caramel a little along the edge to make "lips".
- Use scissors to cut mini marshmallows in half for the central teeth and into triangles for the fangs.
- Use leftover caramel to help secure the marshmallow teeth to the mouth.